Social cataloguing is a very interesting concept. Cataloguing by its nature is a solitary endeavour, so to turn this into something with a social dimension is quite a development. I suppose these social cataloguing tools enable the enthusiast to share their enthusiasm with their fellows, and to link up with those with similar tastes. I've spent a little time exploring Good Reads and My Library Thing. I was initially drawn to Good Reads as it appeared rather more attractive, but I've enjoyed adding to my personal collection via My Library Thing. It's been intriguing to see the automatic recommendations, and then to realise just how many I have read. Strangely satisfying, and also interesting to see how "accurate" the recommendations are in picking up on my tastes. I would suggest more accurate than Amazon, in my case. I haven't spent any time classifying into different collections, or reviewing items, but nice to know the option is there. What a nice way to discover new books, along similar lines to "if you liked that, you'll love this". Very useful for anyone who feels overwhelmed by the vast array of choice in a bookshop or library!
No comments:
Post a Comment